Housing options for serving and ex-military personnel in the UK


The principal responsibility for providing housing information and advice to military personnel lies with the armed forces up to the point of discharge. These services are delivered through the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO). The Gov.UK website lists the type of assistance on offer to service personnel who are planning to leave the armed forces and who require housing assistance.  The difficulties ex-service personnel can face in accessing suitable housing on discharge are well documented.

This briefing paper provides further information on the housing options for UK ex-military personnel and their families. It outlines the housing options open to serving and ex-military personnel, but does not cover service accommodation provided by the Ministry of Defence.

Full Reference

Wilson, W. and Ota, S., 2016. Housing options for serving and ex-military personnel. House of Commons Briefing Paper [online] Available at: <>.