Education Research

  1. All Topic Attachments :-
array(1) { ["topic_id"]=> string(4) "5257" }
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
  • #28580

    Jim McDermott
    Education & Training Expert
    Perception & Communication

    Hi Ben,
    Thank you for your interesting enquiry and apologies for the delay in responding.
    I am pretty confident you are right and there has been no published research on ELCAS. You ask if it is like the GI Bill. I would say no, not really. As you may know the GI Bill actually finished in 1956 but since then different US bills have provided schemes for ex service people who qualify to receive help. In the UK the armed forces have had for a while some sort of resettlement scheme. At the end of the Second World War, those leaving the armed forces were provided with a set of civilian clothing. There were also what were known as government resettlement training centres where different trades such as plumbing and bricklaying and plastering were taught. These ceased to operate in, I think, the 1970s. These resettlement centres were not necessarily to help individuals go on to a career in the building trade, although some did, but rather so they could do their own repairs at home. When the centres closed other schemes took their place usually in the form of financial help for those who qualified. Up to the mid-1980s ‘resettlement’ which was the term used for those leaving the armed forces (now generally replaced with the word ‘transition’) was, at unit level a task of many given usually, in the army, to a passed over major who was serving out his time stuck in that rank. Many veterans of that era report that their resettlement consisted of being given a selection of leaflets, a couple of hours on how to write a CV and a talk on pensions and that was more or less it. In the 1990s the UK government appeared to take transition to civilian life seriously and contracted out ‘resettlement’ to ‘Right Management’ making them the official provider to support those leaving the armed forces. This arrangement is known as the Career transition Partnership (CTP). The Gov.UK site advises that: Provision of resettlement starts up to 2 years before an individual is due to leave the armed forces and continues for up to 2 years post discharge. In the case of wounded injured and sick (WIS) personnel this timeline can be longer, depending on the nature of their condition and the medical pathway. This provision is graduated and dependent upon the length of time they have served.
    The specific scheme you ask about concerns ELCAS – Enhanced Learning Credits Administration Services which has been in operation for about 10 years. I personally have no knowledge of any research into the success or otherwise of those taking up MoD’s Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELC) but know it is an initiative to create lifelong learning for members of the Armed Forces.
    In the years since the Second World War the UK’s armed forces has decreased in size and different arrangements for resettlement have been introduced. The ELC arrangement like CTP is another example of the task being contracted out to a civilian supplier.
    So, in short, UK provision for those leaving the armed forces is like the GI Bill in one way – it provides support to armed forces leavers to help them get back into education and employment.
    Hope this helps
    Jim McDermott


    Hi Jim,

    Thanks for your reply and for the info – it’s interesting what you say!


Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.